Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pounding The Pavement Again

My daughter, Alyssa, decided to run track this year. She's doing the 100 meter and the long jump. I did those events in high school along with the shot put and discus. After attending one of her practice meets I could see she needed some extra coaching so I'm now her personal track coach! I started running with her at night and we've gone over to the long jump pit to practice technique.

I realized I missed the sprint training I did years ago. Exploding from the starting position is a powerful feeling, but I'm taking it easy and doing a little bit at a time. I don't want to risk injury so I still haven't done a full-blown, 100-meter sprint. My legs aren't as young as they used to be and they need plenty of warming up and coaxing to get them in shape for that.

When I refer to a sprint I'm not talking about fast running like most people do for interval training. No, I'm talking all-out, as-fast-as-you-can-go, beat-the-clock sprinting. Lots of people go jogging and I've done my share of long-distance running over the years, but running as fast as you can for 100 meters with the wind in your face makes you feel like a powerful rocket, even if it only lasts for a little more than 10 seconds.

I'm looking forward to the progress that I make and what my 100-meter time is these days. More than 25 years ago it was 12 seconds. Maybe these old legs can get close to that once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment